Figuring out which neighborhood you want to move to is probably one of the first steps in the home buying process. Today on the show we’re going to help you figure out which neighborhood is right for you!
If you’ve already started the home buying process, and found a house you think you love—we’re also going to give you some tips for figuring out if you’ll get along with the neighbors before you buy that perfect house. See the short list below and listen to the show for more details!
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Do you have kids or are you planning on having kids anytime soon? You'll want to research schools, parks, open spaces
- How far do you want to commute to work?
- Do you want to be in a new neighborhood or an older neighborhood?
- What do you want in a neighborhood? Close to restaurants, quite community, etc.
- How much house can you afford?
Is a neighborhood right for you?
- Remember your first impression of the neighborhood.
- Try to visualize your daily life in that neighborhood.
- Check out the neighborhood at different times of the day and different days of the week.
- Did the neighbors come out and talk to you during the showing? This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if you're an introvert or an extrovert.
- Talk to the neighbors to get the skinny on the neighborhood.
- Is the neighborhood absolutely immaculate? Maybe not a good fit if keeping your property in perfect condition is not your thing.
- Are there a bunch of high powered flood lights? Is this a sign of crime around the area.
- Are there no cars in sight? Probably not the best if you use your garage as a shop or extra storage. Make sure you understand the neighborhood HOA rules.